Tuesday 3 August 2021

Русские уже здесь

 The Russians are coming (and the Slavs).

                                                                   EMED27, 76 & 77

Whilst working on my DBA Russians (3.79) I realised that I needed additional figures - mostly armoured horse and the Essex figures looked the part.  In addition one bag of u/a (later) horse are destined for the Post-Mongol Russians (4.44).

For painting information I consulted "Armies of Feudal Europe" by Ian Heath.  Numbers 109 to 114 cover horse and foot.  Also needed to look at the Kazaks - figures 115 to 117.  Nothing too complicated.  Need to do more research on the Russian barding.

In the meantime I will use what I have for the early army.  Only things missing are 1 x 7Hd and 1 x Kn (German).  Can probably 'fudge' them. Must get on with the painting!

In spite of spending the princely sum of £24 I still need more for 4.44b Post-Mongols:

2 x 2Lh Tartar horse archers (may have some suitable ex-Ottomans);
1 x 2Ps Cossack hg or bow (I have some xbow so they would do);
1 x 4Xb Militia (more likely to take the WWg option unless facing enemy Art).

                                                                     HSA8 & 10

The Early Russian list required one element of Ax 'woodsmen'.  Searching through my boxes revealed that I had a number of Slav and Avar foot.  

Beware reader this is a slippery slope.  I added some Slav cavalry and 8 Ax figures to my order (for a bit of variety).  Suppose that the Slav Cv are OK for the 'also rans' but not for a general's element.  The Bulgar HC look much more impressive.....Hmm!

Need to add some odd stuff to my collection in order to field 4.44:

1 x 3Cv general
1 x 3Cv Danish, Old Saxon or Thuringian  (may have these)
1 x 3Kn mercenaries
4 x 4Sp
1 x 3Kn Swabian or Frankish

So, once again, it's the Cv & Kn I am short of.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No DBA battles to report as Ian was on holiday but.................WDW is back in business:  

4 games of 'Carcasson' and somehow I managed to win the last round (3 tile option).  


TMWWBK Zulu v Imperials - much discussion after the game about the scenario.


A two-handed DBM scrap between French Ordonnance and WotR Tudor.  No result as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment