Thursday, 11 September 2014

Polish Presence

Finished the last bases for Polish-Lithuanian 'Commonwealth'. 

Commander & 2 x Lh

Armoured cossacks & 'winged' hussars

As an experiment I used a mid-green background.  As you can see the lights appear to have turned it turquoise!  The 'light-bounce' is also strong.  Guess I will go back to the white sheet (even if it does go a bit pinkish).

Anyway that's the Polish-Lithuanian army completed - by substituting another Lh for the WWg.  I will get around to building that wagon then the Lh can go to the Transylvanian army.

Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Est Arrive

No not the Beaujolais (that's in November) but the 60mm bases.  At the first opportunity I put painted figures on bare bases and got on with the flocking.  So here are the additions:

On the left - 4 elements of Portuguese colonial musketeers (with very bright feathers courtesy of South American birds of paradise).
On the right - 1 element of Russian Blades plus 3 Dutch shot.

On the left - Spanish colonial soldiers - Escopeteros (ex WoR Courers), 4-to-a-base Blades & 1 shot.
On the right - 3 Lh (haven't decided exactly where each is going).

This means that I now have 11 x DBA-RRR armies ready to fight - Free Cossacks, Danish 30YW, French 30YW, German Catholic, German Protestant, Ottoman Turks, Portuguese Colonial, Russians, Safavid Persians, Spanish Colonial & Early Gustavian Swedish.

Yesterday was another DBM scrap - Ancient British (with Roman ally) v Syracusans.  The dice gods were capricious granting large movement scores only to wait until you were over-extended then serve up a '1'.  Combat dice were no better with me losing 3 cavalry in one round even though I was on even or better odds. 

Come the final round the first combat dice-off killed 3 of our hoplites and the central command collapsed.  Two of the enemy warband fell leaving only two more needed to break the enemy centre.  The remaining dice-offs did nothing until there was only my lone cavalryman to try his luck.  I rolled the bones and turned away to get the tin ready.  6-2 was enough to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat. 

Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Just Some Notes

No progress on the DBA-RRR front because of very poor service from  I ordered (and paid for) £22 worth of  60mm mdf bases on the 8th August - and am still waiting for delivery.  Subsequent emails have gone un-answered.  Now I have to try to reclaim my money via PayPal.

On the DBM front I took Former Ch'in (List 2.21) to face Andy's Early Vietnamese.  I ended up fighting against 3 commands with the inevitable result.  Two of the enemy commands were near breakpoint but that was little compensation for a birthday defeat.

When John Smith returns from Partizan (at Newark) he will, hopefully, bring me some alternative bases - so normal service can be resumed!