Tuesday 27 July 2021

The Return of the Aztecs

 

           http://junkyardplanet.blogspot.com/2021/04/mesoamerican-dba-part-2-aztecs.html
               Superbly painted 1/72 figures - also a posting of his Mayas on the site.
 

On Monday Chris returned the remaining Aztecs saying that realistically he was never going to paint them.  The current DBM list is also pretty awful so I was not surprised.  

So what to do with all this dross...well...back to basics.  I originally selected figures for a DBA Aztec army (4.63) then looked at which additional elements I would need to morph into the other 'Americas' armies.  This approach at least restricted the number of figures that I would need to paint.  The down side is that I only have one basic army.  

Given the additional figures I can now expand the Tarascans(4.19) and the  Mixtec/Zapotecs(4.53) to full DBA size.  

Next I need to look at 'The Roads Not Travelled'.  I'm trying to avoid the stereotypical 3Ax/3Bw combination in the process.

3.41a - Proto-Toltec or Proto-Aztec - a mass of 3Ax
3.41b - Chichimec or Pueblo Culture - substitutes 3Bw for the Ax - I have 16 old Minifigs with long spear and shield - unfortunately the Chichimecs did not use shields (and they looked more suitable for a Red Indian morph).
4.70 - Chanca or Canari - a mass of 3Pk - can only find reference to a few shields and of the Inca type.
4.71a - Chimu Imperial - a reasonable mix
4.71b - Coastal Peruvian - very little is known about this civilisation (so the list is speculative at best)
4.72 - Amazonian - 3Bw
4.84a - Araucanians - Pk & Bw - again no shields in use.
4.84b - Other Mapuche - 3Ax & 3Bw  


                           Toltec warrior from the Codex  Magllabechiano (in the public domain)

3.59 - Toltec - possibly the second most unsubtle army (African Vandals are at No.1) - all 4Bd - certainly have enough suitable figures.  Regrettably,  it looks like my best option though!


-----------------------------------

Monday 26th July 2021 - Wrenthorpe - DBM

Early Achaemenid Persians v Mycenaens

For once I was aggressive threatening the enemy right flank.  Making progress when stumps were pulled.  Given more time I think that we would have won.



No comments:

Post a Comment