Saturday 23 March 2019

Back from Chilcon (Sheffield)

Went off this morning to find the 'Chilcon' site.

Pros:  (a)  food and drink more innovative than most shows.
                 Was surprised about the drinks stall!
          (b)  a proper 'bring and buy'

Cons:  (1)  tricky to find (I came along the A6135 into what I thought was the
                  'town centre'. The school is up the hill, beyond Chapeltown,
                  going towards Ecclesfield.)
           (2)  limited parking (I was in the last group to find any spaces at approx 10.30 hrs)
           (3)  food was outside (good job it was dry) and no seating available.

Would I go again?  No - too expensive (£5 entry) and not enough interesting traders.
Anyway here's my, limited, loot:


I already have the Taiping book (my main interest) so this is a really just a supplement.

War & Empire is a manufacturer that is new to me.       https://www.forgedinbattle.com/
The last time I fielded a Thracian army I was short of 4x Irr Ax(S) and 2 x Irr Ax(O) Elements.  I also lacked a proper foot general for my hill tribe allies.  Looking at the figures in the pack I decided to go for WE-TH06 Thracian Light Infantry rather than WE-TH05 Thracian Peltast.  Having got home I checked the website so now I plan to purchase the other option.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished another book:

 Dr Who and the Web of Fear by Terrance Dicks

Another Target Book - c.1976 - with Patrick Troughton in the lead.  Ably assisted by Jamie (Frazer Hines) and Victoria (Deborah Watling - who died in 2017).

There are a number of set-piece skirmishes between UNIT and the Yeti which could easily translate to the table top. Some additional fire power may be required for UNIT to provide balance though.

The semi-derelict London Underground system makes for an interesting backdrop to the action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent Web Discoveries:

(a)  Rebels & Patriots - YouTube battle report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG6y1HnE0Zs&fbclid=IwAR1cUmS6NBd3OKlA9kFWsT4FidB6G8wsav_9VdjllvtZZncvborCFOz46ok

(b)  R&P Multi-Player - YouTube report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOACTULNJNc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3otQnxyz3p7DV091iN7QrvSg2kaEWhhRQ6VJgZkYyjRKglpQZPl8Hoe1A


(c)  TA & Co - DBA 3 - New Battle Reports

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRAe5rGG3lYIHXFgkrC3wQ

(d)  Kit Kat Katapult

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZxnJ9VXlhg


No comments:

Post a Comment