Friday 25 August 2017

One Day Older and.....

Saturday 19th August 2017 - WDW

 Bolt Action (big game)

I was too bound up in my own game to do anything but take a few pictures.

 Quetcoatl Rampant (small game)

Chris offered to play with my South American stuff so I took along my Aztecs & colonial Spanish.  Decided to use small units (as my troop numbers are limited) with 6 hits per stand (reducing according to casualties)  Neither of us had much idea about the "Lion Rampant" rules but we struggled on.  Nigel turned up after the first game and became my opponent.

What we found out - it was impossible to kill certain Spanish units (horse and caballeros) and the artillery was deadly.  Both fights went to the Spanish. 

Using solid blocks (40mm x 40mm) was fine if a dice holder is on each base.  However...according to the rules...only skirmishers should have been in 'small' units AND dice should never have been reduced below 6.  That wpuld have made a big difference!  Thanks to Deany for his help and advice. 

Chris was not happy with the activation sequence so probably would not want to play theses rules again.  Well there is another set to try out...'DBA in the New World'.  Maybe next year!


Sunday 20th August 2017 - The 'Other' Partizan @ Newark

It took me 1hr 40 mins to get to Newark - roadworks, roadworks and more b*£%^* roadworks.  This time I knew how to negotiate the horrendous Newark roundabouts so getting to the showground was not so bad.

Fought an interesting little game 'Battle of Northampton' (7 turns only) - quite fun and educational.

On the way back I had to get off the A1 at Thaxted (interesting windmill), but was able to rejoined above the accident.  Luckily I took the Wakefield turnoff as there was standing traffic beyond that point.

My purchases were:

2 packs of 7mm dice squares (10 per pack)

1 x Aztec Warriors - Caesar H028
1 x Aztec Warriors - Mars 72018
1 x Conquistadors - Mars 72019 (the one with the war dogs)
1 x Chinese Han Dynasty Troopers - Caesar H043
(All of these are on PSR)

With so many reinforcements I can now sort out my SA figures and paint up some as dedicated Tlaxcaltecs.
The 4 war dogs mean that I can make an additional Wb base.

Not sure about the Han Chinese figures - another case of  'too many chiefs' I fear.  They might be of use as Imperial troops of the Taiping & Boxer rebellion period.


Tuesday 22nd August 2017

My Naismith order turned up today.  A few more conquistadores:

1 x CQ12 Mounted Conquistador with lance & shield (3 figs)
1 x CQ13 Mounted Conquistador - lance & shield at rest (3 figs)
1 x CQ14 Sword & Buckler man - standing (6 figs)
1 x CQ15 Sword & buckler man - attacking (6 figs)
1 x CQ16 Conquistador gun & crew  (1 gun & 3 crew)

These are destined for "Irregular Wars" usage.  Still need to source some other figures - seems that Grumpy & Eureka figures are no longer available in the UK!







No comments:

Post a Comment