Thursday 12 May 2016

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Monday 9th May 2016

DBM - Samurai v Southern Dynasties Chinese - the latter being an experimental army.  It was a slow business with the Chinese starting to take losses near the end of the game.  I doubt that I will be fielding this army again.

Chang Cheng (boardgame) - with rival officials competing for favour by holding the Great Wall against the Mongol hordes.  It wasn't obvious at the start that the  'optional' two-player rule' was a must.

Square Bashing - Germans x British 1916


Tuesday 10th May 2016

 My Jinetes arrived from Model Hobbies: 

Red Box 72076 (set 1):             
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1708
& 72077 (set 2):                        
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=2404

After this sudden influx of 'Spanish' troops (Conquistadores & Jinetes) I need to re-appraise my armies.  New decisions need to be made - hence the heading - a quote from Helmuth von Moltke the Elder (1871, paraphrased in  1964)
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Helmuth_von_Moltke_the_Elder

Some of the Jinetes have quilted armour which would be more suitable for the Spanish or Portuguese 'lancers' of the New world.  Methinks I will carry out some substitutions!  Similarly I now have sufficient numbers to carry out the same exercise with some of the foot units. 

I'm inclined towards creating an English Colonial (1.40), a later Dutch Colonial (3.20) and, possibly a Low Countries Spanish (1.47).  The last of these gives the direct opponent of my existing Dutch Rebellion (1.48) army but I lack the necessary Knights. 

Waiting for the dust to settle would be the wisest course .....but we shall see!


No comments:

Post a Comment