Monday 16 May 2022

To Pastures New

 

                                                    From "zycie w grodzie" - 11thC polish peasants

A little earlier than my target but I reckon close enough for the 'unfashionable' peasantry.

 

I found these old Minifigs scattered amongst various boxes.  The 'armoured' types were used for an earlier (6thEd) Ghaznavid army, whereas the 'arabs' were serving in a Western Sudanese force.

So what are they and what should they look like?   A little voice told me to look in the Minifigs catalogue.  Lo and behold they were there:  Z340 - Russian/Polish Peasant Infantry, Fur Cap, Axe

Consulting the veteran WRG publication - "Armies of Feudal Europe & Crusades 1066-1300 ad"....

Fig 101 Polish Peasant Infantryman (p96) shows the combination of bow, shield and throwing axe.  

Fig 104 11th-12thC Polish Heavy Infantryman - this is an elder who could afford better equipment.

Fig 113b Russian Peasant Infantryman (p101) illustrates the fur cap. The text says "Lower-class Russian infantrymen were practically identical to their Polish counterparts.

Clearly the Minifigs casting is an amalgam of all 3 references.

Online there is precious little in the way of illustrations for anything except the knights of this period but the Osprey book 445 - "Medieval Polish Armies 966-1500" by David Nichols - can offer a bit more.

Plate E has a couple of peasants - light (dull) blue tunic with contrast colour at hem and cuff, darker cloak, dull green leggings, strappy shoes - light or darker brown.

 The text may offer more but I do not have the book.

So what am I going to use these figures for?  Consulting the DBA 3.0 army lists I found:

3.63a - Polish 960-1200 - By using 16 of these warriors I can manage the 4 x 4Sp.

3.63b - Polish 1201-1335 - Only needs 12 castings (3 x 4Sp).

4.66 Later Polish - I can already 'fudge' this from my existing collection (mainly Russians).

I have a few unpainted Russian Cv so making a dedicated general's element is a distinct possibility.  Other troops can come from other existing DBA armies.

Looks like some simple painting and I will have two more DBA armies to add to my collection.

Using this as inspiration I am moving on to Eastern Europe - starting with the Turkomans.





 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment