Sunday 12 January 2020

Exploring a New Area

After a minor (DBM) victory last Monday against Achaemenid Persians I decided to start some research on the Latins.  I started at Wikipedia of course:

Latins (Italic tribe) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latins_(Italic_tribe)
Latin League - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_League

I next looked at what Osprey titles were available:


Osprey does a good job providing 'taster' paperbacks but like certain foods they fail to satisfy.  The 'blurb' ominously says "Etruscan, Latin, and Samnite warfare are also discussed."  Looks like this will be of very limited use so only a second-hand purchase is worth considering.


This tome seems to be more useful but I don't know how it will compare with the Italian book I already have - worth looking around for at Vapnartak I think.

Considering 15mm figures I hunted around for anything pre-Camillan Roman.  I found these Mirliton Etruscans (sadly Vexillia no longer supply so I would have to order directly from Italy).    I have a few Villanovan figures (cannot remember which manufacturer though) which will do at a pinch.

Clearly I need to do some more research and hunt around at Vapnartak.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yet another Dr Who book - set in medieval times.  The Krillitane are just as much victims as enemies.  Not really suitable for a skirmish game as the Krillitane are, individually, far superior to men with spears and bendy swords.  Conversely if you substituted UNIT for city guards the balance would be skewed the other way.


No comments:

Post a Comment