Thursday 28 December 2017

The Big Freeze Starts Here


Monday  18th  December 2017 - WDW

Yes..I know that was some time ago but I do, as of 23.12.17, have some details of what went on:

Sikhs v Brits (re-fight of the previous game).
A boardgame - Andrew & Co
DBM - don't know which armies were involved though.


Sunday 24th December 2017

Finished the Dr Who book - "The Story of Martha" - which I picked up in Hebden Bridge at the end of last month.  A rather disjointed story - or series of stories.  It probably seemed a good idea at the time but I don't think it quite comes off.  Average.


Monday 25th December - BBC1

I watched the 'changover' Dr Who episode - not impressed.  The music was too loud and the voices too quiet.  Leaving with a cliff hanger is OK but having to wait until the autumn is a bit much.  Seen a lot of criticism online - kind of agree at this point.


Tuesday 26th December 2017

Working my way through Slingshot 315:

"Kidon a mace? I'm beten on it" (Guardroom) - nitpicking.  In the old days (eg WRG 6th) rules were weapons based.  The world has moved on.  Whether Goliath had a mace or short sword no longer matters.

"Is Goliath a Distraction" - after reading 2 paragraphs my brain switched off.  Maybe not a distraction but certainly a soporific.

"A Bit of Fun with Phalanxes" - I actually woke up for this one - it was more interesting than I expected. Comparing 7 different rule sets (admittedly some were ancient editions) did not look promising. Credit should go to the author (Chris Hahn) for his worthwhile efforts.



Wednesday 27th December 2017

More Slingshot 315:

"The Battle of Hearclea" - part one covers the background and local politics giving an insight into why certain things happened.  Part two is on tactics - interesting.

Thursday 28th December 2017

Suddenly realised it was Thursday - too easy to lose track during the festive season. 

The electrician turned up today and sorted out most of my ring main - all except the power to my central heating system.  The gas man cometh - but not until Saturday - to deal with the pump. That will be the eighth day since the breakdown. 

Tried to buy some heaters in B & Q only to find that the Barnsley building is empty. Wickes had nothing either.  Oh well!  Nil Desperandum.


In spite of all that I do wish all my readers A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment