Tuesday 10 October 2023

Chariots - Progress Report 1

 

The 4h, 2c Roman chariot found in the Airfix box has the smallest wheels of any set.  My usual method is to substitute 25mm Egyptian wheels courtesy of Irregular Miniatures but when I did so it didn't look right.  I scouted around in my spares box and found the Atlantic Egyptian chariot wheels that I removed when making that particular army.  This time it looked OK.

So with the chariots painted I had to find some crew.  That was not as straightforward as it should have been.  The infantry had to be shifted around - some re-based as closer or looser order; some moved to grant greater uniformity and yet more decisions to be made.  After doing that I had a rump of figures that included far too many archers.  Luckily my research suggested that the closely allied Syrian chariots may have had bowmen.  Given that I also needed to differentiate between 2c (Lch) & 3c (Hch) I made the 3 crew non-archers.

Once photographed I realised that 'Honest Al' had sold one vehicle with a very dodgy axle (must repair and/or replace) plus the chariot bases are far too thin and need MDF support.  Oh well!  Have to wait for my warbases order to do that.

Next on my list - Early Libyans. The pair of 2h chariots can be made in the same fashion as for the Hittites.  The 4h are a different matter entirely.  Above is the (cropped) PSR pic of the ridiculously Hollywood 'Roman' chariot from Atlantic.  This will need some work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment