Saturday 6 May 2023

A Wargamer's Life

Here I am sitting at my computer when I should be DBA wargaming.  That was my plan but my BP had other ideas - 183/141.  Radio 4 has been silenced. It's usually pretty poor at the weekends anyway but today the sycophantic BBC is fawning over Charles the Adulterer.  It also diverts attention from the bad local election results - how convenient!  OK...Rant Over.

1)  Romans

                               https://www.ancientpages.com/2023/03/29/celtiberians-culture/

I mentioned previously taking Romans to the club to re-introduce Joel to DBA.  What I didn't talk about was the state of the troops I found...so here goes.

Joel wanted to face Romans.  Easy I thought.  Just dig out the appropriate box and take along some Carthaginian opposition. When I went into the attic I discovered a collection of very old 15mm Minifigs (Romans & Carthaginians). They clearly needed an update. Replacing these venerable fighters is a must but how to justify such an expense!  

That's when serendipity played a card. On the bottom of the box was not just packaging (as I thought) but quite a number of bagged 'new' figures (mostly Magister Militum).

A quick look through suggests that I can make up DBA Roman armies from Polybian to Mid-Imperial.  What I lack is psiloi and spear - both can be 'borrowed' from my Latins. Don't know about the 3Ax or even what they should be - research needed here.

Worst of all many of the infantry were only partly painted so the brushes had to fly to make them presentable.  One army needed a Kn element.  Luckily the new influx had some.  So now I have a real mixture of new and old, some painted, some not.  Where do I go from here?

A new request to field enemies of the Early Imperial Romans has been received.  The Carthaginian box is in the same state as the Romans.  It has enough Spanish (but no Celtibereans) plus Numidians so that's a start. Need to look at what else I can put together - maybe Arabs!  Watch this space.

2)  Slingshot

Once in a while I have a hankering to look at this publication so, on a whim, I paid out £27 for a 6 issue subscription.

Issue 344 - only 2 articles that, initially, took my interest - "Philistine Chariots" and "A Dying Light in Britannia".  Full review later.

May be an image of 1 person, riding a horse and artillery

3)  Live Free or Die

American Revolution rules based on Andy Callan's "Loose Files & American Scramble."  After play-testing LFAS in Southampton (a few decades ago) my opponent and I fealt that there was 'something missing'.  LFoD has added some command & control elements which may be what was required.  A future play test seems likely.  Might even give WTF a whirl for comparison.

Incidentally I spent about 2 weeks trying to get the Pdf from Little Wars TV.  Each time I laboriously filled in all the forms and logged into Paypal.  That's when I was informed that there was nothing in my basket.  

After seeking help from the Facebook group it was suggested that I change browser.  How is that going to help I thought!  Actually it did.  Switching from Firefox to Vivaldi provided the golden ticket.  Wierd or what?


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment