Thursday 31 May 2018

DBN....and All That!

Saturday 26th May 2018 - Gt. Houghton

5 games of DBN - my first exposure to this DBA variant.

(1)  Spanish v Prussians (13 v 12 points) - I made good use of my 'extra' troops (militia only cost half a point) - 5:3 win.
(2)  Austrians v Prussians (12 points) - a bit harder but I still managed a 5:2 result.
(3)  Austrians v Prussians (18 points each)  larger numbers gave me no advantage - I went down to an ignominious 2:7 defeat.
(4)  Austrians v Prussians (12 points) - increased numbers of CV & Lh (just to see how they worked.  Mine were pretty useless - 2:5 loss.
(5)  Spanish v Prussians (13 v 12 points) - a re-run of the first battle.  It came down to the wire - a 4:5 loss.  I made poor use of my 'extras' this time.

The rules seemed to work once we got the hang of them.


 
 In the past I have downloaded DB Colonial from the same source -  KISR Publications - and even played a few trial games solo.  The results were entirely one-sided.  I was not impressed.


 I have since downloaded the ACW variant and read through it.  My initial thoughts were:

     (1)  a complicated set of rules.
     (2)  basing units requires careful picking of figures.
     (3)  there is a need for a number of status indicators.

Although I have a number of painted 1/72 ACW figures (mostly foot) available I will not be rushing into using these rules.  Quite a large amount of preparatory work is required first.

 This variant is for Middle East conflicts such as in Mesopotamia. Having recently purchased a few 'Lawrence of Arabia' foot figures I may wander that way.  Alternatively they may be adaptable to East or West Africa!

Others:
The 3 page AWI download was certainly not worth $4.  Nothing but tables - no background - nada. Given that the similar Franco-Prussian wars sheets are free it begs the question "what am I paying for?".   Also...Regular cavalry...really!!! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round-Up

Saturday 19th May 2018 - WDW

A big Seven Years War in India game.


Monday 28th May 2018 - WDW

Spearhead 6mm Modern - Russians v Dutch & British - victory for the allies.
DBM - Xi-Xia v Early Samurai - Andy ploughed his Kn(F) into the opposition breaking the enemy centre (and loosing all but one of his horsemen).  Not long after that the Samurai left command broke as well.  I had spent my time 'corner-sitting' and messing around with Lh(S) - oh well!




No comments:

Post a Comment