Monday 30 January 2023

Trials & Tribulations

 

When Black Friday was on I looked at "The Little Corporal" website.  It was applying a 20% discount to their Lurkio South American range.  Being fairly well aware of which armies I lack I thought to persuaded Ian to play some trial DBA games with 'approximated' figures.

DBA v3.0 on Saturday (26th Dec):

(1)  4.71a Chimu Imperial v 2.81 Inca Imperial   4:0 win
       Dice rolls ruled this game (especially movement).

(2)  4.84a Araucanians v 4.84b Other Mapuche    7:1 win
     The (b) option is a pretty lousy army - Ax supported by fast Bw.  The terrain channelled my   opponent allowing me to double up my fast Pk.

My previous experience with the Incas showed me that 2 x Hd(F) were more effective than 2 x Pk(F) so I didn't even bother to try out 4.70  Chanca or Canari.  Maybe I should have!

Will my wallet moths be disturbed?  It seems that the Lurkio 'pack-breakers' are no longer available. This means that I have to buy full packs which will give me far too many surplus figures. Although the Chimu with copper armour are great figures I am not tempted to buy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Pict Command

Scouting around further in the LC site I discovered Splintered Light figures.  Although mostly fantasy there are some historicals.  Further trials were required.  This time Ian had most of the required elements.

(3)  2.54a Scots-Irish  v  2.81a Dux Brit      4:3 loss
      A tight game that went down to the wire.

(4)  2.60 Caledonian v 2.56 Early Imperial Roman   4:1 win
     Terrain and dice rolls decided this game as well.  I could double up my Wb without being  overlapped.

(5)  2.68a Pictish v 2.73 Old Saxon          5:0 loss
      Just shows how capricious the dice gods are.  My Pk(F) were no match for massed Wb.

None of these armies seem particularly strong and my existing stocks would cover most of this group.  The exception being 6 x Pk(F) for the Picts.  Am I tempted?  Cannot remember ever buying Splintered Light figures but they look alright. Maybe purchase a few!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrible Regiments of Women - unicorn riders

(6) I still need an enemy for my HotT Garden Gnomes.  Further delving into SL I noticed some female  figures.  Most 25mm sculpts that I have seen have obviously been derived from adolescent boys fantasies  These 15mm figures are much more sensible. (Seem to remember seeing a stall at shows offering realistic 25/28mm models).

Wood Elves of Wyldewood:

Wood Elf Sorceress / Wood Elf Unicorn Riders /                                                                                  Wood Elf Female / Wood Elf Maiden Guard                          

So we have some useful foot and mounted.  There are certainly other suitable creatures to be found in the other fantasy ranges!                          

HOWEVER - a recent notice says that no new orders are being taken until 3rd April 2023 so
                        I will just have to shelve yet another purchase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closing Note:  On the 7th attempt I managed to introduce printer to network.  Don't know how but I'm not risking any changes.  Have printed out a copy of the naval rules and given them the once over.



No comments:

Post a Comment